Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Why Diversity is Needed in Today's Comics

It seems that there has been some, but granted, not a whole lot of backlash with regards to Dr. Fate having a new identity.  I for one, am completely in favor of Dr. Fate being a native Egyptian and have advocated for that being the case since the announcement of an Earth 2 book in the New 52 universe.  Although it pains me to see one, well, actually two of my favorite characters go in Kent Nelson and his grandnephew Kent V. Nelson, below I give you evidence of why such diversity is needed.


This is from one of the original Dr. Fate comics from the 40's and/or 50's. Don't know if you have noticed what is wrong with the picture yet, but if not let me point it out below.

If you didn't notice it right away, please take a look at the panel above.  It depicts an African-American baggage handler in a less than flattering way.  In fact, it is outright racist.  This is part of comic book history.

Now, of course, things are much different now.  But that being so, the majority of heroes are still Caucasian and still very much American.  James Robinson is doing a great job of changing this in his re-building of Earth 2, and I applaud him for it.  Some are saying that this is change, just for change sake.  I counter with, why is a superhero  entrenched so deeply in Egyptian mythology a blonde haired, blue eyed person?  And again, I must reiterate that Kent Nelson and his nephew Kent V. Nelson are two of my very favorite characters of all time.  That being said, I am so glad that Mr. Robinson is giving us diversity in this new world.  I also enjoyed Superman's revelation in the last Injustice comic, where he goes to the Middle East and saves a boy and his town from a bombing from their own president.  He tells the boy and the towns' people that he is sorry, that he hasn't been there and that he should have always been there.  I loved that, because right away, that made Superman a more global character just like when he renounced his U.S. citizenship years ago.  The world is a much smaller and diverse place now, and I am glad that comics are reflecting this.  Bravo Mr. Robinson, and bravo DC Comics!  

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been following the book, nor heard about the recasting, but I'm totally in favor of the recasting. It simply makes more sense for the guy to be Egyptian, especially decades removed from westerners glorifying tomb raiding.

    ReplyDelete