Saturday, June 15, 2013

ToF Man of Steel Review


This is going to be part movie review, part short essay addressing some of the bad press/reviews Man of Steel has received.  Anyone that follows me on Twitter by now knows that I loved the film.  That's not to say that the film was perfect, but both my wife and I really enjoyed it.  And my wife really is not the type that enjoys superhero movies, so that is saying a lot!  Also, before I jump into the review and addressing the bad reviews, let me say that I am not a huge Superman fan by any means.  As a kid, I loved the character but as I have matured I no longer follow the character at all.  None of the comics I collect presently have Superman in any of them (with the exception of the Injustice series).  So with that being said, on to the review:

Personally, I thought the movie was a ton of fun.  It did take a little while to get there, but when it did, it was amazing!  Man of Steel really showed what Superman is capable of on screen.  The fight scenes were amazing and Faora was a complete bad ass.  I think she even outshone Zod as the main "bad guy."  Sure, some of the fighting scenes were over the top, but these are super-beings fighting!  Man of Steel takes the phrase "go big or go home" to another level and it makes the action scenes so much fun to watch.  To see Superman use his super speed, super strength, heat vision, and other powers in battle was completely awesome.  I had a blast sitting in my movie theater seat soaking in all the action and I truly can't wait to see this movie again.  For me it was what a superhero movie should be and is on par with the Avengers movie.  Man of Steel gets two thumbs up from this blogger.

Now, to address the issues some critics seem to have with the film:

1) Man of Steel is too dark.: Okay, I will admit that this is a darker take on the Superman mythology but to say that it comes anywhere near the darkness of the Batman/Dark Knight Trilogy really is stretching it.  And I didn't feel like Clark Kent's character spent a whole lot of time brooding about his past a la Batman.  I did think that it took a bit long for the "good stuff" to start but then again I had the same issues with most superhero movies, not just this one.

2) Fight scenes were too long/too much destruction.:  OMG! I can't believe this is an actual complaint.  F.U. to the critics with this issue.  Seriously!  Yes, some of the fights were over the top, but again, these are god-like beings duking it out!  Buildings are going to topple and cities will be destroyed.  Pick up a comic book and you will see this kind of things happens regularly to Metropolis, Gotham, Star City, etc...  Bottom line, the fight scenes were amazing and made the film tons of fun.  

3) No Kryptonite in the film.  Did the critics totally miss the hints that Kryptonite is Superman's weakness when he would be within, or come close to, the Kryptonian atmosphere?  Again, seriously?

On another blog someone wrote how many of these issues have to do with critics' preconceived ideas of what a Superman film should feel like or who/what Superman should be.   I believe this to be correct. I see  a significant amount of reviews comparing Man of Steel with the 1978 Superman film instead of reviewing this movie on it's own merit.  This is a different take on Superman and not a remake of that classic film.  It's too bad that some people/critics are too stuck on their own preconceived ideas of what a Supeman film should be to appreciate the great product WB and DC Comics have given their fans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment